History

The building at 701 World’s Fair Park Drive was built in 1929 by Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company and served as an office, showroom and warehouse. In the 1930s, the building was occupied by General Electric Supply Corporation. Most recently, it was owned and occupied by the Keener Lighting Company. Many Knoxvillians have fond memories of the stained glass lamps lighting up the showroom windows at the corner of Broadway and Jackson Avenue.

The building was purchased by Dewhirst Properties in 2015 and received a Historic Façade Restoration Grant from the City of Knoxville in 2016. The Façade restoration and full renovation of the building into a mixed use building with apartments and commercial space will be completed in 2018. As many Knoxvillians associate the building with the Keener name, the Keener Family has graciously allowed the building to retain the name as it is given a new life as the Keener Building.

Various 'before' shots of the Keener Building